Tuesday, December 14, 2010

hit or miss

you know in the summer when the first watermelons come out in stores? i'm always pretty excited about it and i buy one right away. if it's a fantastic tasting watermelon, it becomes the "summer of watermelon". i might get a watery one here or there but if that first one is good, i'm willing to keep buying them. on the other hand, i've gone whole summers not eating watermelon because that first watermelon didn't taste great. the whole summer hinges on the first watermelon on the season.

what i've decided is that winter is the same except the fruit is mandarin oranges. if the first box of oranges is great - you eat them non-stop, box after box. so yummy. if the first box is off - i'm tentative to buy another.

where am i going with this? my first box of mandarins this year was sad and pathetic. i've been eating them but they just taste like they're on the verge of going bad and they're just terrible. sigh. i guess this is a low-mandarin winter for me. hope you have better luck.

3 comments:

theRachel said...

I hear you 100% on this! Our first box (end of October-ish?) was lame, and so I bought the next box from Thrifty's a few weeks later (after the first bad box I needed a break and to get my courage back!), and they were fantastic! Less than a week later (b/c we ate the good box so quick), I went back to Thrifty's and bought the same brand. Fail. They were not the best.

On my most recent shopping trip? I bought a bag of delicious smelling navel oranges. I'm mandarin-wary at this point.

tio said...

you should just pull an orange out of the box before you buy them and try it. if its good, you buy the box...if not you head to the next one. good idea?

LaelDyck said...

just don't buy oranges....they are nasty all the time!....or maybe i should say something more supportive like "good luck!" or "keep persisting"....