Wednesday, October 17, 2007

the library loophole

well...if you know me well - you'll know that i usually have mega-fines on my public library card. this summer, i did not frequent the library as my fines were up to $75. i wanted to go to the library but didn't want to pay my fines. unfourtunately, i had also racked up some fines on tim's library card. i once took out a teen book called "bad girls in love" on his card, lost it and never returned it. who knew how big the fine would be on that card?

finally - something had to be done. tim and i went in, i paid my fine down to $24 (has to be under $25 so that you can take out books) and started happily taking out books. however, tim wanted to be able to use his own card again but didn't want to have to face the librarian about why he'd had "bad girls in love" out for over 2 years. since i took it out, i'd found it again and it was sitting on our bookshelf at home. so tim made me go ask about his card. i told the librarian the deal and explained that i'd found the book - what would the fines be? she told me that only the cost of the book is still on his card ($9) - no late fees. AND if we returned the book, the cost of the book would be DELETED!

WHAT?

do you realize what this means? if you have a book overdue, you just keep it until they erase the fine and charge you for it then return it. for free!

okay okay - obviously i'm not going to be doing this BUT...it IS a library loophole that they really should look out for.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh you know those librarians were wondering about that Tim Shulba who just could not part with Bad Girls in Love. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'd count on getting that nice librarian again next time - now that they have your picture on the "wanted" posters by the door - really I saw them there...

Ben S. said...

it wasn't a nice librarian - it was the computer system! but i did think that wanted poster was going a little far...

Anonymous said...

hmm...I wonder if this is true of all libraries, and if so, how long the book has to be missing for before the fines get erased? For all my years working at the library, I feel like I should know the answer. What we need is a library insider...anybody?