Thursday, December 17, 2009

my pantry has exploded...


our kitchen has an add-on, built-in, pantry in the kitchen. it kind of messes up the feng shui of the room and the door to the pantry has been mistaken as a bathroom door numerous times; but it is full of stuff. yes, pantries are for food. but our pantry is so big that only a shelf or two stores food. the other shelves house our roasting pan and the cake stand. there are a couple pretty boxes with brand-new cookie cutters bought a couple years ago. a fondue set. it's the room for misfit cookware. not only that, this pantry also stores our reusable containers in a giant cardboard box on the floor along with all plastic bags and recycling. the picture above really doesn't do the mess justice. (as it was taken last april...imagine how much worse it got)

when i got home from from grocery shopping last night at 9:30pm, i opened the pantry to put my goods away and there was literally, no room. no room? in a pantry this big? you've got to be kidding me.

and so began the first, huge, pantry clean and organization of the shulba household ever. all things came out. i had a bag of flour and a bag of sugar sitting on the shelf beside two empty tupperware modular mates! i was hanging onto a billion plastic lids with no bottoms and vice versa. i have cake mixes for cake flavours i don't even like. and what are these red bowls? where did they come from? i have a plethora of placemats and none are my favourites. and how many half eaten boxes of crackers am i going to let go stale before opening up my cracker modular mate and putting them inside? (yes, i have a modular mate for crackers - a must have)

it's starting to look better. i have a couple bags for the thrift store and a lot of cans for joe's recycling. and i cannot believe how much room there is in here! after pictures on their way soon.

7 comments:

Alyssa said...

Can't wait to see the after shots and all those modular mates in action!

Megan Thiessen said...

I just did a big pantry clean/organize this week. It feels good.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I just cleaned out my pantry too - its a set a ikea shelves in our larger storage closet!

I think it always works best when take everything out possible, start from scratch on only put back what your keeping!

Nice work!

dawn said...

my pantry is pretty small, which is probably a good thing. I find that the more space I have, the more mess I make!!!!

ashlee said...

i can't wait to see the after pics :)

theRachel said...

I am definitely looking forward to the after pics. What was Ben doing while you did your pantry purge? Wait a sec, you said you went at night...so maybe he was sleeping. Didn't know if he liked the Sound of Music sing a long or the pantry clean up better?

Ben S. said...

actually, the pantry clean turned into an all day affair with stuff all over my kitchen. ben jumped in his jolly jumper of course. and spent some time in his exersaucer. and i took a lot of big breaks.