Saturday, May 16, 2009

books sitting on my bedside table

waiting for me to get some time off and read them...




this one was from tim for my birthday.

i just finished reading this one this morning. it was just sitting on a display shelf at the library and i picked it up. i love autobiographical books and i guess this author has written some best-selling books but i haven't read them. they'll go next on my list. would i recommend this book? i enjoyed it. very candid look at her personal journey into motherhood as a single mom. she's prone to depression so there are many entries of the journal that are somewhat sad but interesting to read. and as a soon-to-be mom, i appreciated hearing about the bad days as well as the good with her son. she professes christianity and has many intriguing thoughts about God all the way through. it's an easy read in a journal format. but if you're going to pick it up to read, i will warn that there's some profanity. :) you know, fyi.

here are a few of my favourite quotes:

"All these people keep waxing sentimental about how fabulously I'm doing as a mother, how competent I am, but I feel inside like when you're first learning to put nail polish on your right hand with your left. You can do it, but it doesn't look all that great around the cuticles."

"She says that we're all so nuts amid so much beauty that it's like we're at the circus. In one ring is an amazing array of clowns and bears doing all his great stuff, and in the middle ring is a woman who does breathtaking tricks on horseback, and in the far ring are elephants or seals and maybe more clowns, and above us are trapeze artists, doing these death-defying precision feats, and we're sitting in our seats looking around crabbily, going, 'Where's that darn peanut vendor? I want my friggin peanuts!' - even when we're not particularly hungry."

"Hey, I may not be much, but I'm all I think about."

2 comments:

theRachel said...

As I have already discussed with you, I loved the Birth House. It is a great read, and so timely. I'm curious to know what you think of it when you're through.

I also have a copy of A Complicated Kindness that I've been meaning to read. However, I don't know that I'll be getting to reading those baby books any time soon :)

Margaret said...

Oh I love Anne Lamott. I read Bird by Bird a while back and loved it! I've been meaning to read some more of hers, but haven't gotten around to it.